James H. White Doctoral Fellowship
The James H. White Doctoral Fellowship was established by the family of James H. White to support doctoral students who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership at the University of Arkansas.
- A limited number of fellowships are awarded based on available funding.
- The White fellowship awards a $1,000 stipend per year for a maximum of 4 years, payable in increments of $500 at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.
- This funding can be combined with additional sources of funding in accordance with university policy.
Terms & Conditions
- Preference will be given to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
- Eligible candidates must have completed a master’s degree prior to receipt of the doctoral fellowship and demonstrate academic excellence, financial need and leadership qualities.
- White fellows must maintain good academic standing throughout the graduate degree program and make satisfactory progress towards graduate degree completion.
- Payment is for approved degree-related course work. Miscellaneous fees and insurance premiums are the responsibility of the student and may be payroll-deducted.
- White fellows will receive the fellowship each year for no more than four years. Continued funding past the first award year is based upon good standing and progress towards the doctoral degree. Should a White fellow graduate, change degree programs, or leave the university, the fellowship will terminate.
Application and Deadlines
Nominations will be accepted by the Graduate School at any time during the year.
Graduate students who are interested in being nominated for a White fellowship should contact the department that houses their degree program. The nominating department should submit as much supporting documentation as is available: transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, student-authored publications and research projects.
Nominations are reviewed by the fellowship committee. Department chairs/graduate coordinators will be notified of the award decision by email, usually within 2-3 weeks of submission.